Thursday, August 14, 2008

Album Review: "L.A.X."- The Game

Photobucket

While Game's legions of haters may not see past the negatives, I feel that they are outweighed by his positives, as he is perhaps the most talented and, dare I say, "realest" of all the young rappers with his degree of relavence and popularity. This his third album has featured some very good singles, but will it deliver overall? (This is the clean version by the way which I'm hoping won't screw up this review any.)

1. Intro (Feat. DMX)

DMX found time in between court dates to kick a prayer for the intro.

2. L.A.X. Files

The Game spends no time getting into the name dropping; this is even a bit much for a Game song. I guess this beat isn't totally awful, but the hook and the majority of Game's raps are. A poor start.

3. State Of Emergency (Feat. Ice Cube)

Much better. A gully Cali anthem, kind of like "Compton" from the last album, over a J.R. Rothem banger. Ice Cube only lends the chorus on this which is kind of a shame I guess.

4. Bulletproof Diaries (Feat. Raekwon)

This beat is all over the place but it's crazy. Raekwon's guest raps are pretty dissapointing but Game's last verse is just sick.

5. My Life (Feat. Lil' Wayne)

I'm sure you've all heard this plenty at this point. I, for one, really like it. I think Wayne is bearable on the hook, and while the verses are nothing special, the beat is Cool & Dre's best in some time.

6. Money

A synth-led ode to paper makin. If you're asking, yes it is as unoriginal as it sounds. It's also bad.

7. Cali Sunshine (Feat. Bilal)

This is actually a pretty good idea and I think this beat will grow on me. What is that a banjo?

8. Ya Heard (Feat. Ludacris)

I kind of wonder what Nottz was thinking when he made this beat. You kind of have to hear it, but its just a real mess. Ludacris' verse was actually the bright spot to me I found it pretty funny.

9. Hard Liquor (Interlude)

Game goes to a club playing that old track he did with Dre. Is this supposed to be funny?

10. House Of Pain

This is fuckin gangsta, the first DJ Toomp beat I've liked since "What You Know". Game kind of goes in on this track too. This album is really heavy on the California/Compton tracks which I guess is the point of it.

11. Gentleman's Affair (Feat. Ne-Yo)

The most questionable track yet. Ne-Yo sings the chrous about sex appeal and does a whole verse by himself. These are really not the kind of songs Game was meant to do.

12. Let Us Live (Feat. Chrisette Michelle)

This is the least obnoxious Storch beat I've heard but its just aight. I kind of like the last verse about his beefs and stuff but most of the lyrics on this are pretty bad. Too much singing on this track too.

13. Touchdown (Feat. Raheem DeVaughn)

I would say this is Game going Curtis on us but I guess this is classier than, for instance, "I Like The Way She Do It". I never thought I'd hear this much singing on a Game album.

14. Angel (Feat. Common)

You wouldn't know this was a Kanye track with what sounds like a Parliament sample or something. Game doing a "I Used To Love H.E.R." tribute thing on a track with Common=weak.

15. Never Can Say Goodbye (Feat. LaToya Williams)

The Game actually raps from the perspective of 2Pac, Biggie, and Eazy E. I guess this was the logical next step after referencing them in every other line. He kind of pulls off Biggie's flow which makes me wonder if he was going for that with each rapper.

16. Dope Boys (Feat. Travis Barker)

I've been playing this non stop since it leaked. Again, nothing great lyrically, but this is just a banger and the "Roc Boys" reference is pretty clever in my opinion.

17. Game's Pain (Feat. Keyshia Cole)

A tasteful and heartfelt tribute to hip hop. The last of the singles to appear on the album

18. Letter To The King (Feat. Nas)

A tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. over one of Hi-Tek's better beats in a while. I find it strange that Nas makes a track called "Louis Farrakhan" and now is spitting MLK tribute raps but maybe I'm looking too much into it.

19. Outro (Feat. DMX)

Another prayer thing.


Overall: The album of the year without question. This could have (and should have) been so much better if they would have just toned it down with the vocalists, but there is too much good stuff on here to overlook. Right now I'd have to say it's about as good as "Doctor's Advocate" though I think I'd need to hear the real, dirty version on a decent stereo first.

Best Tracks: ""Bulletproof Diaries", "House Of Pain", "Dope Boys", "My Life"

No comments: