Friday, November 7, 2008

I Wonder What Else Just Blaze Has Ruined


Let me start this off by saying I have nothing against Just Blaze. He is one of, if not the best doing it right now, and not only that, he produces for a lot of great artists and gets real hip hop on the radio. However, I got an unreleased songs compilation this summer which had Ghostface's 'The Champ" in its original, uncleared sample version. Being a big fan of the original song, I was excited to hear it the way Just actually wanted it to be, only to find it considerably worse than the final cut. Then just the other day, I downloaded his new song with Jay Electronica "Exhibit A (Transformations)", and basically had it on repeat the whole day. Yesterday, I saw that the new, final version of the song had come out and was once again excited for how an already great song could have been improved upon. Then I listened to it and it was the same thing but with strings and synths and all sorts of superfluous noises. Just also changed those voice-over things (he does those himself, right? I don't even understand that...) to worse ones and added a minute long instrumental outro. This begs the question, how many of these songs exist? Did Game's "Remedy" have a fresh beat before it was scrapped for "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos"? And please don't let me find that there's a version of "Live Ya Life" without Rihanna singing the Numa-Numa song.

No comments: