Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ahmad Jamal: The Grandfather of Hip Hop



This is the first post I've made which could be considered informative and interesting, so fucking read it. To the best of my knowledge, the breaks and drums heard in early hip hop songs were sampled from James Brown and Parliament Funkadelic. But fuck early hip hop songs, right? The best hip hop in my opinion was made in the early/mid-nineties, and the guy responsible for many of that era's (and other era's) greatest beats was legendary jazz pianist Ahmad Jamal. Jamal's compositions have been sampled extensively by some of the games greatest producers.

Here is a catalogue of his sampled work to the most of my knowledge:

1. "Misdeameaner"

Hip Hop Uses: Gangstarr- "Soliloquy of Chaos" (DJ Premier)
Black Moon- "Black Smif N Wessun" (DJ Evil Dee)


2. "I Love Music"

Hip Hop Use: Nas-"The World Is Yours"(Pete Rock) (at 5:00)



3. "The World Is A Ghetto"

Hip Hop Use: Fat Joe-"Shit Is Real (Remix)"(DJ Premier)



4. "Awakening"

Hip Hop Use: Shadez of Brooklyn-"Change"(Mr. Walt)



5. "Swahililand"

Hip Hope Use: De La Soul-"Stakes Is High"(J Dilla)(at 7:30)



6. "Pastures"

Hip Hop Use: Jay-Z-"Feelin It"(Ski Beatz)(at 1:11)



7. "Dolphin Dance"

Hip Hop Uses: Deda-"Can't Wait"(Pete Rock)
Common-"Resurrection"(No I.D.)



8. "Theme Bahamas"

Hip Hop Use: Nas-"I Gave You Power"(DJ Premier)(Can't really here this one, but its in there)



9. "Poinciana"

Hip Hop Use: Binary Star- "New Hip Hop" (?, Decompoze maybe)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I completely agree with you on that.

There's just way too many fools out there that can't grasp.

In fact, I was arguing with my sort of friend jon yesterday about this, and
they wouldn't admit to me that he was wrong. Now I can just show them your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Man, I totally agree with you on that.

There's way too many suckers out there that can't grasp.

In fact, I was fightin with my sort of friend demetrius yesterday about this, and
they wouldn't admit to me that he was wrong. Now I can just show them your blog :)