Thursday, June 19, 2008

Verse Of The Year?


Having been listening to Nas and DJ Green Lantern's "N- Tape" mixtape on repeat for about a week now, I have concluded that, the best verse on the mixtape, and thus of the year so far goes to Joell Ortiz. This is not to say that Nas is whack or anything he drops gems all over the album, but Joell, an Aftermath outcast and Brooklyn native just went in on the "Ghetto Remix" which is just a gutta song all around. Here is a link to the track and the lyrics to Joell's verse.

Planet earth
The land of the worst
Handle your turf
Canons'll burst and break the wrist of ameteur jerks
Damn it'll hurt to know your man in that hurst
I seen it ten times
They get a small article never the headline
Candles in the lobby next to empty gnac bottles
N*ggas talkin shit like when they see this mack nozzle but
Nothin ever happens
Even if it do, nothin ever happens
We don't talk cuz that ain't gutta if you yappin' in the ghetto
You can ask a n*gga mother what happened and get an echo
Where I'm from, it's so bad
Bunch of ignorant mahfuckas with no dads
Or he did but he didn't care cuz he nursin his dope hab
And when him and they moms argue we always throw jabs
So they grip a chrome mag and walk around like 'who want a toe tag?'
Fiendin' to leave a head see-through like a coat bag
If your life's slightly somethin like the one that Joell had then you (ghetto)
Group of p's (?)
Scoop G's
Duck D's and squeeze
Breeze in old hoopties
Bumpin new Ortiz
And the hoochies please G's by gettin on they knees and givin the part the scarecrow needs
I'm livin that life
The shit that I write is from my heart, my word
Open your pocket grab a sharpie homie, mark my words
If, anybody in the field with me and these bucks
I ain't only endin careers dog
I'm beatin' you up
I'm still ghetto

No comments: